Tuesday, February 2, 2010

On the Subject of Male Doulas

I appreciate everyone who took the time to respond to this question here and on Facebook.

I personally do not have any official position on male doulas. I have never met one, and would love to hear from a guy doing this work.

I am happy to see people responding by being really open to and respectful of ideas. I think this is important as we challenge "traditional" roles and loosen up our clinging to "girl/boy" taboos, and become inclusive of every range of expression of one's sexuality.

I do, however, have questions.

When I support women in birth, there is definitely a very strong sexual energy they exude. Not an "I'm horny" sexuality, but one in which the emotional state is of full engagement with the body centred experience, like reaching towards orgasm. I am a straight woman, and I hold my clients, straight or gay, with the same energy. I don't worry the lesbian moms are going to feel inappropriate with me because I am holding them, swaying with them, whispering in their ears encouragement to go more deeply into that state, tending to the intimate care of their bodies, minds, and hearts. I've never had an issue with a lesbian mom's partner having problems with this. A labouring person is a labouring person, whether she's straight, gay, or doesn't even identify as a woman. If a labouring person identified as a man, I know I would not have any misgivings about holding his space the very same way. Maybe it's a womb identification thing that makes me comfortable with all these scenarios.

I may touch the mother's partner, no matter what the sex of that partner is, in a loving affectionate way just for support, but not at all in the same way I do with the one who is labouring. Though the labouring woman may be naked and I may be literally holding her in my arms and swaying with her, rubbing her back and belly and pouring my love into her when she requires that from me, I would not do that with her partner. I don't come up behind the father while he's in the shower and wrap my arms around him while his partner labours because he needs emotional support. Here, outside of the oxytocin trance we all get caught up in, the boundaries of appropriate touch become very clear. What is it about labour that creates this intimacy where it appears the boundaries of normal every day touch fall away, and men who are not partners or clinicians are seemingly allowed to touch women in a very intimate way, which is not overtly "sexual", but still involved in a powerful expression of her female sexuality?


I have seen images of Michel Odent lovingly hold up a nude labouring woman, saying soothing words intimately in her ear and have not experienced any creepiness in watching that. But I do have to say that when I think of a man helping me through birth the same way I help women, I feel a slight "hmmmmmm". This is not to judge the guys, it's more about me. If a man were telling me to breathe down down down into my cervix and imagine it opening, flowering, and feel Baby coming down,no matter what his sexuality, I feel like I personally would question if he was really feeling his words. I wouldn't question this from a woman, even if she's never had a baby, no matter her sexuality, because that's a very deep, instinctual, womanly knowing, even without previous experience. But I've never been in that experience, so I don't know truly how I'd feel. Perhaps a man truly could feel those magical cervix melting words. I have no negative thoughts at all about male docs who catch babies or male midwives, because that role is more clinical. A doula's role is different, though, somehow a lot more emotionally intimate, so it just raises more questions.

I wonder how my husband would feel about a man physically and emotionally supporting me in the intimate way I support other birthing women. I think it may cause discomfort to a lot of partners. And would it make a difference if this man were gay? Would I choose a male doula over an experienced female one because I clicked better with him, and if I did would it be because of an intuition of better rapport, or a deep, intellect sidestepping, little spark of biological, sexual chemistry? And if so, would that be a terrible thing? Could be not, but could be devastating too.

To some birth attendants, birth has very much the feel of being in a women's spiritual circle, experiencing a collective expression of women's own unique belly magic through a birthing woman. I do believe in the sanctity of women's spiritual circles, as men can and do have their own gatherings. Because birth does have its challenges sometimes, it is normally held within a space that allows for clinical intervention if need be. These clinicians are often men. But even though they're on the periphery and doing the clinical thing, (like the men perhaps protected the women's gatherings from the periphery even if they didn't engage in the ceremonies) they're not really part of the dance, part of that intimate circle of women (and her consort), regardless of their sexuality. How about this: because we want to break down traditional gender roles and identifications (and so we should in many respects to become a more loving, inclusive society), does this necessarily mean it's sexist for a woman to not choose a wonderful and experienced male doula simply because he's a man? Why not? Where do Nature and pheremones and biological pulls assert authority, if it is possible that they do, over our arguments for breaking with traditional roles in the birthing room?

Remember, these are truly questions, not me playing devil's advocate or asserting a position. I'm looking for potential answers, not arguments, because I'm not putting forth any. I would love love love to speak to a doula brother and have him give us some answers.

Respect to all loving and well intentioned birth attendants everywhere, no matter who you are.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, great comments indeed, so interesting!
    I would sooo, love to hear something from any of these much debated male doulas! that would be so great! But I would also be interested to hear the experience of any doula who is not strictly fitting the "boy/girl" model as you say. Any doula's out there feel they need to emphasize their "female-ness" in order to feel they belong in the doula world?? Any female doula's out there who were born as men (and now possibly feel the need to hide this)?

    I think the issues surrounding gender interest me more than the ideas around sexuality.

    I had no doula with my first, and a female doula with my second... all the same, for me gender is not a top deciding factor. If there were any male (or any gender configuration) doulas around I would interview them! But where do you find them??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a male doula would make my husband uncomfortable too. So we would probably prefer a female doula. But, I do not believe that this would make all husbands uncomfortable. So, the right doula for the right couple... for some this could be a man I would imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what. though I have not thought a lot about male doulas, I intuitively feel, for whatever reason, that I would feel really comfortable with a woman who happened to inhabit a male body. For some reason, I think they would be very connected to the "womb thing", even if they didn't physically have one, because it's more of an energy than anything else. It would make me very sad to feel that a male doula who lived in society as a woman would feel like she would have to hide her fundamental self.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, there are a few male doula's registered with DONA international. so if you lived in the right area you could hire them!

    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/article658892.ece

    and another story pretty much about the same guy!

    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4191/is_20091208/ai_n45771498/

    -sesch

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting observations! Your blog is a joy to read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Michelle,

    Now that I've been thinking about this, I feel very denied of the experience of encountering a man in the doula profession. I have been a doula for a long time, and have heard of these gentleman, but have never had the opportunity to meet any of them :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I trained with a male doula, possibly the same one that you are discussing right now... I can't say much about what happened during the training (as it is a safe space, where what is said there stays there)but I can tell you that I got the feeling from this doula that he is someone who was truly fascinated by the power of birth and really wanted to share that and... (is there a single word that combines surround, cuddle and protect?) because that is the energy I felt around him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read the articles, but none of the men in them was the one I trained with. Personally I would prefer a female with me, though, perhaps if my best friend were a male, took childbirth education classes, and was game, I'd be willing to invite him along too.

    ReplyDelete