Thursday, August 5, 2010

Within 24 Hours: A Snippet of Doula Life

Within 24 hours I travelled from Niagara Falls to Montreal, listening to music which reawakened an old and overwhelming desire to learn to play guitar like a man. There is nothing like being a passenger and immersing oneself into music, mind, and scenery, only interrupted by sporadic fights in the back seats by 3 bored kids and Tim Horton's pit stops.

I attended two beautiful births (even though still technically on vacation). How can one say, "I'm still off call" when one is called by a lovely labouring woman, the powerful craving for the sanctity of the birthing room (what one can salvage of sanctity in a hospital, anyway) infusing one's blood? And since that one went quickly and I still had energy, why not just tend to the next equally beautiful and sacred labouring woman, who, thank God, birthed quickly and smoothly too?

I watched an episode each of True Blood and Hung(between babies). I admit to an HBO addiction. I don't watch any other tv, but I do love my Louisianna vampire and awkward girl pimp dramas.

After the next birth, I ran into my nurse friend Jodi, and both of us swaying in the hallway with exhaustion (me from working, her from being kept up all night by a 2 year old), we passionately created an outline for a doula-training-for-new-nurses. The date is confirmed, and I couldn't be more excited. The energy sizzled and flowed in those few minutes in a way that made us resonate with a huge YES in terms of the training's content and intention, after a year of musing and wondering and not being sure how to most delicately but authentically approach it. Inspiration vibrated through those hallways, punctuated by labour sounds and the buzz of a busy hospital staff, and we tapped it and created something special.

I took a bus home, and fell into a short, but deep slumber for a few hours after saying "hi" to the kids.

I woke up to 4 new requests for my services, glad for my team of MotherWitties to take on these lovely ladies, as I am already booked for all the dates for those requests. It is an amazing thing to have abundance doing something I so love to do. Something I need to do. I count my blessings.

I awoke to my healthy, amazing children, and am waiting for my husband to come home so we can restock our empty, post vacation 'fridge, and hope to watch a movie tonight before tackling a huge day tomorrow of catching up on administrative work.


A doula never knows what her day is going to be like when she wakes up. It is a rich and good life. There are days in which my life sounds like something out of the strangest of Tom Waits songs, days I end up doing things I would never have imagined in a million years I'd be called upon to do. The rhythm is always spicy, and boredom is never an option.

4 comments:

  1. You captured the lifestyle perfectly, Lesley.
    Love that your practice is booming and so many women are seeking and receiving such great care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Darlin'. I've been thinking of you a lot. How ya doing holding down the birthing fort in the Pacific North West?

    ReplyDelete
  3. so beautifully said! thank you for sharing! :-)
    hope to connect soon in Montreal.
    have a great summer!
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete