Thursday, April 1, 2010

Top 50

I woke up to some nice news. A nice lady from nursepractitionerschools.org informed me that I was listed in the top 50 blogs for midwives. It's organized so that midwives are first, organizations are next, nurses are next, then doulas are at the end. I am proud to be in the "doula" section. After all, where else would I be? I was super happy to see my favourite blogger The Navel Gazing Midwife up there.

My talk with author Holly Dressel was lovely yesterday. She thought, "Hey! They should have doulas for EVERYTHING you have to do in a hospital!" Wouldn't it be great too, if you were terrified at the dentist, to have a nice lady hold your hand and let you know your fears were acceptable and that they would be tended to? The word "doula" (even though I just can't vibe with this word itself, always knowing the true meaning of it is "bonded slave") embodies the essence of support, tending, and love. In any case, I think I gave an accurate description of what doulas do and what we're about.

I simply could not imagine doing anything else.

Thanks to one Ms. Jasmine Hall for sending me the kudos.

http://nursepractitionerschools.org/50-best-blogs-for-midwives/

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I had always read that doula meant serving woman...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does now because that's what it has come to mean in our Western culture. But from what I have looked into, "doula" is derived from "doulei", which means "bonded slavery". The woman's servant HAD to do that work, whether called to it or not. Lots of others have tried to use different words, but "doula" seems to stick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Skyrocketing popularity, considering you haven't been blogging all that long compared to lots out there, too! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete